First Time Parent-Pregnancy Tips for New Moms 2023
Pregnancy can be a challenging and exciting journey for new moms! Learn important tips to help stay healthy during pregnancy in 2023, from developing good nutrition habits to understanding the importance of exercise for you and your baby. Continue reading as we discuss an outline of the pregnancy tips for new moms.
What Are The Healthy Eating and Nutrition You Should Know During Pregnancy?
Eating properly during pregnancy is important for the development of your baby and also for keeping yourself physically and mentally healthy. Make sure you eat a variety of foods from all five food groups, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains and proteins. Here is a list of foods to consider, but please also consult with your docotor.
Limit your intake of sugary drinks, fatty or processed foods and try to stay within the recommended guidelines for pregnancy weight gain. Additionally, it’s important to talk to your doctor about any supplements you may need based on your health needs.
Should One Begin or Continue Light Exercise During Pregnancy?
Yes! Starting or continuing light exercise during pregnancy is important for maintaining physical and mental health. Exercise can help manage stress, improve your circulation and reduce leg cramps. Gentle exercise such as walking, stretching, swimming and pregnancy yoga can be safe during pregnancy if you are in good health and have cleared it with your doctor. Begin slowly so that your body can adjust to the increased activity gradually. Some pregnant women workout are:
- Walk – If you are new to working out, then a brisk walk is a good workout that is not strenuous on the body. Try 10-20min walking then make sure to also hydrate and stretch before and after working out.
- Yoga or Pilates – Go to these classes and let your instructor know you are pregnant, Then, they should know how to help modify moves and poses for you to avoid any injury. In addition, do what makes your feel comfortable in your classes and don’t push it too much.
- Water workouts – Try swimming to help your body joints and to get your heart beat up. Additionally, if you have lower back pain, water helps support your weight and it’s easier on the body. Again, make sure you have someone to help your with water exercises.
- Strength trainin – Make sure to use only light weights when you do weight training. This workout helps with muscle building and strengthening of the bones. please consult with your provider to see how much you can lift.
- Stationary bikes – If you need to ride a bike, please use a stationary bike as it is safer than riding a bike outside.
- Aerobics classes – Low-impact aerobics don’t put as much stress on your body and some examples of low-impact aerobics are: walking, stationary bike and using a elliptical machine.
Why Should You Prepare Your Home for Baby’s Arrival?
You should definitely prepare your home for your infant. Creating a safe and comfortable home environment for your newborn is important. Start with baby-proofing, inspecting electrical cords and safety latches on all cupboards and drawers. Make sure to configure your furniture strategically and that toys, diapering supplies, lotions and creams are easily accessible.
Consider investing in a baby monitor so you can keep an eye on your child while they sleep. When your baby is small, a simple monitoring device will do but when they are toddlers, you can invest in camera or security alarms. Lastly, stock up on essential items such as diapers, wipes, burp clothes and bottles. There won’t be time to go out and shop for items as you have a baby on hand. Here are more details on baby proofing your home:
- Measure your outlets and use child-safe covers to make sure no electricity is exposed.
- Install safety gates for stairs, and secure furniture to the walls to help prevent falls.
- Install locks on cabinets and latches on drawers so baby won’t be able to open them.
- Remove any glass objects from the house or keep them far away from your child’s reach.
- Soften sharp edges of tables, chairs and other furniture.
- Cover hard flooring with rugs for a softer landing in case of falls, and keep toys nearby for easy access.
Get Your Financial Affairs in Order Before Birth
The financial costs associated with a newborn can be overwhelming. To avoid any unexpected expenses, start budgeting now and allocate specific funds for birth expenses. Consider maternity leave cost such as lost wages, health insurance coverage and daycare fees.
Create an emergency fund for medical-related costs that may arise in the future. Lastly, consider researching long-term savings options for college tuition later in life.
Track Progress With Pregnancy Journals and Charts.
Keeping track of your pregnancy progress is an important part of following your journey to becoming a new mum. Charting and journaling can help you stay organized and increase the bond between you and your baby.
There are various ways to track down prenatal changes such as weight gain, trimester notes, week-by-week fetal measurements, kick counts and more. Additionally, create a list of questions for your doctor to plan ahead for upcoming appointments.